Monday, December 12, 2011

Easy to make magnets

The girls and I came across these super cute homemade coasters on Pinterest and we've been busy making them for everyone we know! Here is what they look like http://pinterest.com/pin/237705686551777325/ and they turned out super cute!

I wanted to do something for the kids in Keagan's class from me...I work in the class several times a week and I wanted something from me to them so I decided to make magnets for each of them. I already had pictures of each of them from an earlier project so that part was already done. I took the pictures into Picasa and make collages, I made the collages 8x10 and I was able to get all 23 kids on 3 8x10's. The tricky part was reducing the size of the pictures to fit basically a 2x2 square. I tested it a few times on my computer just printing in black & white and it worked! So I sent them to Sam's club and it cost me about $3.50 to print the 3 8x10's. I cut each picture down to a 1.75x1.75. I went to Lowes and bought what I think is a backsplash (about $2.50) in plain white (it's stuck together squares with some glue that just peels off). I separated each piece and brushed each one with mod podge and then placed the picture down on the tile. Then I added a felt square to the back of each tile (I attached it with a glue gun)...felt can be purchased at any craft store...Hobby Lobby sells them 4 pieces for $1 (so $.25 each). Then I bought magnets which come about 12 per pack for a few $'s and you can use a coupon usually for those! I started out only using one magnet but because the tiles are heavy I've added another magnet to the back. They are turning out super cute!






No comments:

Post a Comment